Monday, December 3, 2007

Week Nine

I've added a video of Van Morrison singing live (at beginning of my blog). I like his music and it was the name that popped into my head at the time I was thinking of a subject to search.

I've been enjoying Youtube for some time now. It started when I heard on the radio about a man in Sydney who was giving 'free hugs'. The video made about him had become a hit around the world and the local Australian band who were backing it were given a huge boost in record sales. It's not something I'd spend hours doing, but in the process of doing these exercises it's been interesting to see what is available. My teenage daughter watches with interest, using the home computer is her domain and she doesn't want me getting too attached.

What I dislike about the site: What I find really annoying is when trying to watch a video and it doesn't load fast enough and does that stop/start thing that makes me want to give up. At one point I got so frustrated I phoned Telecom and upgraded our monthly plan!

Features and components of the site that might be interesting if applied to library websites: I find videos are a good learning tool so would be useful for staff training within libraries to teach staff new processes. On our public website we could have links to relevant videos, in the same way that we link to other websites. After speaker events at the library video recordings could be available for patrons who were unable to attend on the day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to see you are already a YouTube user - some of the videos do take a long time to load so it can be a good idea to let them run through in another window while you do something else, and then go back and "rewind" them so you can watch the video in one hit.

Unknown said...

Nice to see you are already a YouTube user - some of the videos do take a long time to load so it can be a good idea to let them run through in another window while you do something else, and then go back and "rewind" them so you can watch the video in one hit.

Fiona said...

Very cool video and love the graphic on your post!